Saturday 22 March 2014

MANDATED AUTHORITY

This is a personal blog, expressing personal and individual thoughts and opinions.

It is open to challenge. Nevertheless, I hold to my own ideas.
____

I grew up in Ngapuhi. I have climbed my maunga and I have swam in my awa and the wahapu.
I have spoken on my own marae and have good relationships with the taumata.
I have my pepeha and my whakapapa.

I am one of the tens of thousands of Ngapuhi living in South Auckland. But, my Nan, my uncles and my cousins live under my maunga and in between our urupa and our awa.
-

I AM NGAPUHI, NGAPUHI IS ME!!!!
_____

I freely admit that I did Not actively participate in the selection of the [former] Tuhoronuku group.
In fact, I remember getting the voting forms and thinking 'Why vote in this??? Ngapuhi will Never settle'.
__

BUT, On the 14th of February 2014, This personal assertion was smashed to pieces.

I had just days earlier, shaken hands with and greeted Minister Finlayson and walked with him on to Te Tii Marae.

I had No actual idea, that he with his Ministerial colleague, Dr. Sharples who we also walked on to the Marae with, would sign the letter sent to Ngapuhi.

The Crown had recognised the Mandate of Tuhoronuku.

I remember standing in a carpark, reading the email that had informed me of this.

MY HEART SOARED!!!!!

I was taken aback, but also extremely proud, extremely pleased, that at long last, we as an Iwi, had the oppurtunity to begin to move forward.
-

I have proudly carried that joy for just over a month.

Tonight, after attending a Tuhoronuku Information Hui, I have the substance to back up why I can feel proud.
-

My heart praises the integrity of the caretaker committee, who were once part of Te Runanga, but are now Independent. But, even THEN, for the sake of their integrity, they are stepping aside to FULLY AND COMPLETELY allow for the Democratic unity of Iwi to decide who will make up the
'Tuhoronuku Independent Mandated Authority'.
---

OF COURSE, there is opposition. In all things, there is Opposition.

But I Now know, for a fact that that litigious rag-tag bunch [which lessens and lessens each day], has VESTED Interests, and actively spread mistruths and misinformation, coupled with seemingly genuine rhetoric, to advance said vested interests.

I am saddened that a small small group, blinded by greed and pride, wish to derail and stop OUR Ability as an Iwi, to move forward.
-

It is not my place to reveal their true intentions, but I will say that this opposition only wish to feather their own nests.
--

BUT, Tuhoronuku, the Kite of Peace, will keep flying on. Will keep soaring higher and higher.

Our kite, carries our aspirations. We are our largest iwi, with many many many hapuu and marae.

We are at a historical crossroads.
--

But it is with Tuhoronuku, that we fly higher.

Teena Taatou Katoa.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO1403/S00300/leadership-of-te-kotahitanga-stood-down-due-to-neglect.htm

    In light of this, it is IMPORTANT to note..

    The former members of 'Te Roopu o Tuhoronuku' have,l though not needing to

    ALL Of their own Accord anyway [despite having had a fair election process]

    STOOD DOWN!

    They are making way for the New Authority,

    The 'T.I.M.A'.

    They did this based on their own integrity as Mentioned above in the blog post.
    -

    It is great to see, that Finally.. members of an opposing group have similar integrity, and are also standing down.
    -

    That being said, we will Not, as an Iwi, be impeded and we will contibue to move forward.

    Kia Ora taatou

    ReplyDelete