Sunday 24 April 2016

Letter to an ANZAC

My thoughts on the 100th ANZAC Day. A letter to the soldiers who landed at Gallipoli in 1915,
-

Dear ANZAC

I am told you fought and died for our rights.

But that is hard to believe.

You did NOT die for New Zealand citizens, because they did not legally exist until after your time.
You did NOT die for Human Rights... because in your time, no-one really knew what those even were.
You did NOT die for the women in Parliament, there weren't many in your time.
You did not die for Gay Rights, because in your time, Homosexuality was ILLEGAL .
You did NOT die for the Maori language, because outside of New Zealand, that wasn't even considered a language in your time.
You did NOT die for Muslim New Zealanders, in fact you wanted the Muslims DEAD!!!!!
You did not die for the poor beneficiaries, in your time, if you could not work, that was IT!!!!.
You did not worry about Maori because in your time, the Government still demonized Maori.
You did not die for Children's rights, in your time, there was DEFINITELY no such thing.
You did not die for Women's Rights, they weren't important in your time either.

No. You did not die for any of this.

In your time, you did not even die for your self..... NO... You died because the Generals made a terrible mistake which made sure they could have you and your mates slaughtered and get away with it.
-

My heart aches when I think of you.

My heart aches because your life was obliterated.

My heart pines for your smile.... but what makes me sad..... is on that day on that beach

I am quite sure you did not really think of me... or anyone that I know.
-

ANZAC.... I honour your memory... but I don't honour your terrible death.




1 comment:

  1. Reflection a year later;

    At the time of writing.... I wrote of the futility of the deaths and the sadness of this. The writing was a different take on remembering ANZACS.... and definitely the last line speaks to how I seek to honour them..... Probably too.. a possible mistake I made or misinterpretation or oversight.. was imposing modern values and ideas on something in the past.

    ReplyDelete