Sunday 18 May 2014

Tamariki Whairawa

I affirm the greatness of Tamariki in Aotearoa.

Our Tamariki come from many different families in many different communities.

Aotearoa - New Zealand is a well develoed, first world nation.

We have a world class Education system, strong social security and our health system is mainly in public hands.

This means that historically we have had a Government [no matter the major party] which has always had a strong focus on our Tamariki.
-

I Know what Chilld poverty is.. having visited developing and third world nations. I've seen child neglect, child labour and a lack of strong parenting. I know how this affects tamariki and how it perpetuates poverty down the generations. I am not being biased or discriminatory, that what I saw with my eyes.

And it is NOT necessarily limited to overseas... Child abuse in some whanau in Aotearoa... plays a significant role in bringing those whanau down. That is definitely so.
-

BUT!!!! I want us to adapt our language AND our thinking!!!

We KNOW Poverty is there.. and so are whanau hardships.
-

The thing is though.. that what we believe.. WE GET!!
_

Our schools are open.. Doctors and nurses still work for us.. Social services are available... We can get jobs.. Our Marae are still open... Centres focussed on Youth are still there...

ALL The tools are available inside AND outside our own home... Tools to lift us all up.
__

Abuses are rife and systemic... But we do our OWN Tamariki a huge disservice if we don't reach for the tools for them.

If we as Adults don't take a stand for our kids.. WHO WILL???

We will!!! WE MUST!!!

Our Tamariki are RICH.

Rich in spirit... My mum always told me that...

I hope you always tell your kids that.

And do all you can to create wealth for you and your tamariki.

Kia Ora



No comments:

Post a Comment