Tuesday 1 July 2014

Celebrate Matariki




This is ALL my own opinion.

I won't use references.

This is me blurting out on my blog, my thoughts.
-

Matariki, Makahiki, Matali'i, Pleiades, Subaru.

All different names, for the group of stars (constellation) pictured above.

Across the Pacific, the annual emergence Matariki, signals the beginning of Our New Year.

This Year, This Calendar has been use in the Pacific for thousands of years.
-

With the Maori renaissance we saw the wide revitalization of Matariki Celebrations.
-

For me, this is about remembering what has always been part of us. It is part of who we are. It is part of our Pasifika way of life.
-

I personally believe in making Matariki a public holiday.

I say this, because there is currently NO legal recognition of Matariki.
-

After a law passing it would probably involve kaumatua and kuia across the motu, who would consult with the Department of Labour and MBIE.

They would help in setting and adjusting the date each year.

However it happens, it should always be guided by Tikanga.
-

My only concern with making Matariki a public holiday, is making sure that it doesn't become overly commercialized like Christmas or Easter.
-

I don't buy in to the 'lost productivity' korero, because that is never considered in terms of the all the other holidays that we already have.

These are my basic thoughts.

Prompted by this post and it's comments

https://www.facebook.com/terata.hikairo/posts/10152549809856369?notif_t=like

-

Please comment, discuss and debate.

Na,
TeRata




No comments:

Post a Comment