Saturday 3 November 2018

My own Political Risks.. and how they may finally be paying off

Tena Koutou

It know it has been a wee while since my last blog post. Alot has been happening in my life.

But I thought I'd share this.
-

Anyone that Googles my name... will find one of THE MOST Embarrassing videos of my Political Career. It is in hindsight one of the GREATEST Political risks I have EVER Taken.

I have spoken at length about all of that in the past.

A new angle though... that is my first greatest political risk I ever took and that it took place in 2014.
-

It generated a raft of news for 1 day at least... but for me personally I feel.. has left an indeliable negative mark on my career and maybe even to some extent the image, people have of me in public life.
-

Next though, among the 2 GREATEST Political Risks I have EVER Taken, was a video filmed on the 5th of November 2017, known as 'the Marae video'.

MASSIVE MASSIVE Contrasts in the 2... but both equally risky. That is undeniable.

People are political and hold political opinions, so viewed either isolated from each other OR in conjunction... they present again... a particular image.
-

Now if you DO view them together... my personal hope is that YOU see .. primarily my transition away from the Maori Party.
-

Whats LESS Obvious is the undertones of both videos... and how interestingly enough they actually relate to a whole OTHER Party... That is... the New Zealand Labour Party (Te Roopu Reipa)

See, the 2014 video is me asking (however loudly) for the Labour Leader to be inclusive and think more broadly about Maori representation... something I still believe in today.
-

The 2017 video presents (for Politicos) a huge contrast to the #HoakeTatou Labour Maori Campaign, and if you haven't worked it out speaks to it's huge power and the way it did in fact connect. If you don't get that from watching the first time... watch again and see Now.
-

It needs to be said though.... BOTH Videos serve as huge risks at the time they were created.

It bears mentioning.. that the 2014 video ACTUALLY got me in trouble with the Maori Party all those years ago.... and the risk ultimately came to a head when in 2015 I was forced to resign from the Maori Party.
...

The 2017 video was an attempt at trying to right the wrong of the 2014 video.. but also an attempt at putting across a more mature political view.... BUT Again.. you won't be suprised to know that the Maori Party didn't like the 2017 Marae video at all..
-

Let me now tell you how this all holds relevance in November 2018...

WELL.. The 2017 Video was a way of... telling LABOUR That I am well and truly DONE with the Maori Party and that I am very very firmly in the Labour Camp... I support Labour.
-

In the last 12 months since that 2017 Marae video.... the Tamaki Makaurau Labour Party has heartily embraced me, as has the Maori part (Te Kaunihera Maori) of the Labour Party.
I've cheered on my MP Peeni in his achievements and I've supported 2 Labour Candidates of Maori descent (Brooke Loader and Shanan Halbert)

You'll remember these beautiful photos of me as personal translator for former Labour Leader Hon. Andrew Little at a local Event.













-
Most rewarding of all... while I can't release the exact details.... I can inform all that thus far one of the greatest payoffs of the political risk taken exactly a year ago on the 5th of November...

Was met today... in that I was privileged to push a new policy for New Zealand Labour (nothing major, but it is based on fairness and democracy). The Party today accepted my policy which I hope will be released in due course.
-

As I write I am overwhelmed with satisfaction and forgivably very proud of myself but most of all as I write this... I am proud to be


No comments:

Post a Comment