Monday 1 December 2014

Maori Muslim refutes ISIS



English Translation of Interview


Pier: Greetings everybody. It’s likely you’ve all heard of the war overseas in Syria, in the surrounding regions which involves ISIS. Joining me now is, one of us, his name is TeRata Hikairo and he has some thoughts about a certain Maori person who has been following and (reportedly) supports the fight of ISIS overseas. TeRata is on the phone now, Greetings TeRata.

TeRata: Greetings. Greeting Pier, Greetings to everyone listening across the nation. Tonight I greet you all with the warm and peaceful greetings of Islaam.

Pier: TeRata, for a long time we have observed one of ours from Ngati Kahungunu, one who has changed his name, one who now wears foreign clothes, and now he is being watched by the Government. His name is Te Amorangi Kireka-Whaanga, his new name is Izhaq Kireka-Whaanga, what do you have to say about Izhaq’s outbursts.

TeRata: First of all, I have met this man Sheikh Izhaq, who is a well-known New Zealander, despite his bad opinions, he is a well known person. BUT, in terms of what he says in support of Terrorists and the war of ISIS, the vast majority of and there are 1000 of us, and we are part of the wider Muslim Community of some 30-40000 in New Zealand, We are a Peaceful People, We are a prayerful people, We are a loving people, We are compassionate people, We take care of the elderly, of women and children. And therefore when someone comes out and says that they support Terrorism and the war of ISIS of Iraq and Syria, The vast majority of us DO NOT SUPPORT (that War or Terrorism). So yes, what Izhaq is saying is just outbursts, big silly outbursts, and these are Bad things to say. Insomuch as the vast majority of us are Peaceful.

Pier: TeRata, are you saying to that you are with Muslims, that you are a Muslim.

TeRata: It is known widely through Youtube, The Government, and through TV Media, it is known that I am Muslim. My Islam is demonstrated through my community and school work, and thus I am different to some Muslims. Insomuch as my Islam is of my heart, not by my clothes or my diet, or like what Izhaq does. But indeed by my community work, that shows my faith. My faith in who, in God. That is what we Muslims believe, what we all believe. In Maori God is known as Io Matua Kore, In Hebrew God is Elohim, in Arabic he is Allah, but God is One. And so, again to Emphasize, if one comes out saying that they support Terrorism, We as Muslims DO NOT ACTUALLY SUPPORT THIS, Because we are Peaceful.

Pier: We can see that there are indeed many Maori that have become Muslim, is this so?

TeRata: Yes yes. Statistics New Zealand, say that there are approx.. 1000. In these last 20-30 years the numbers continue to increase. It is known the world over that Islam is an expanding religion. It can be seen that many people, Pakeha, Maori, Samoan etc, Many are entering this Peaceful Religion.

Pier: What do you think is the problem with these Maori, Are they lonely? What makes them enter these new foreign religions?

TeRata: I have shared my opinion is past years. I have met elderly and people who are Izhaq’s age, and I believe that we are all Maori, but our opinions are not homogenous. Our blood and our genealogy is the same, but our thoughts can be different. But it does not matter who the Maori is, whether Kahungunu, Ngapuhi, Ngai Tai or Ngati Whatua, we as Maori believe in the same God. I have met many Maori of many different faiths and churches, and I have also met Maori who still pray and have the religion of our ancestors. Indeed, for the majority of Maori Muslims, we don’t see the difference between our old ways and the ways given us by God, in Islam. But obviously, everyone has a different view.

Pier: TeRata, in the old days, Maori were Anglican. Catholic or Mormon. What is wrong with these churches?

TeRata: There is absolutely nothing wrong with them. I take my answer from the Scriptures, like the Bible and the Quran and Book of Mormon which all empower the right of the person to choose their own path to God. Indeed, it has once been said; God is like the top of a Mountain. But there are many paths to get to the top of the Mountain. Much like we Muslims, who’ve chosen a particular path. But we are just like all our Maori. We still go to our Marae, just like any of our Christian or Jewish whanau. Though we have chosen a path, a different path, but a path nonetheless that gets to God.

Pier: TeRata the thing that worries your people about you, is that we see Muslims, who chop their enemy’s heads off and who hurt Pakeha and who hate Americans. This is a murderous religion. What do you have to say to that?

TeRata: Indeed. It is true that the TV media has portrayed this. I won’t refute that those images are broadcast. Because such things do exist.

But I for my part, read the Holy Quran, I have met people face to face. I have gone to mosques throughout NZ and overseas. The only people I have met there are Peaceful people.

So indeed there is a huge disconnect between what the TV Media portrays, and what my own eyes and ears have seen in Mosques and the homes of Muslims. What the TV Media portrays and what my eyes have seen in Mosques is completely different.

Therefore I see and I know, Much like tonight, where many people have seen and heard Sheikh Izhaq and believe he is a great Muslim, and that what he has to say is representative of all Muslims.

But when I see what he has said, I say, those are only his particular thoughts. Those are only his thoughts. Indeed the infinitesimally small band, much like ALL Groups and Churches, that think like Izhaq, is indeed very very small.

The vast majority of us 99% or even more, 99.99% do not believe in Terrorism, neither do we support Wars or Extremism. In fact we believe in the Peace and Love of God

Pier: TeRata, we have run out of time. But I really acknowledge the explanations that you have given and the great things that you have said, at another time we can talk more.

TeRata: Thank you Pier. Salaam aleykum.

Pier: That was TeRata Hikairo talking about Islam, which has been in all the nation’s newspapers. We continue to acknowledge him. This is all on Manako.

1 comment: