Wednesday 31 December 2014

Religious Diversity

I won't reference anything here in this entry, I am just talking from a wealth of knowledge accumulated over 16 years.
-

Religious Diversity is something which has fascinated me this whole time.

Ever since I was 10, I would sit in my school library and read about all the different faiths of the world.

Indeed this is something of great interest to me.

Over the period of my short lifetime, I have visited a variety of churches, mosques, pagodas and temples. I have even visited a synagogue.

I've made contact with people from many different spiritual and religious backgrounds.
-

The human experience is enriched by faith. The diversity of our faiths, is one of the defining features of our humanity.
-

If I just focus on my own city of Auckland, New Zealand, I know of the 2 different synagogues in the city. One synagogue is for Orthodox Jews, while the other is for Reformed Jews.

The Manukau region has a variety of Mosques. In Manurewa, for example within kilometers of each other the Ahmaddiya mosque and Masjid Ayesha, 2 mosques with different views of Islam. Different again is Masjid At-Taqwa.

The whole Auckland region is host to many mosques, for the variety, not just of Sunni but Shia Muslims too, I have visited some of these.

I know the locations of and have visited some of the Hindu and Buddhist Temples of Auckland.

And I have visited 2 of South Auckland's Sikh temples, enjoying meals there.
--

One of the things that has always troubled me, even worried me, in terms of international issues, is Religious Intolerance particularly when this manifests as Religious persecution.

In the Judeo-Christian tradition, the first murder in history was an act of Religious intolerance, where the murderer was envious of the piety of his victim.

That tradition again records the 'feeding' of the first Christians to lions in Roman Gladiatorial stadia.

The Crusades on the 12th century were a religious war, as was the Spanish Inquisition.

Jews have been periodically persecuted, of recent memory the Nazi Holocaust.
--

Right Now, the religious persecution in Asia, Africa, Europe and the Middle East, seems to make headlines each day.

In some examples, religion can be perceived as the source of persecution and tolerance.
--

In my view, no great society or organisation can evolve and develop, let alone adequately function  without diversity.

We know in our own lives what it feels like when we are not accepted for how we live, or for what we believe in.
-

All the Great scriptures of the world call us to 'Love our Neighbour'.
-

The Holy Quran has  great advice, which was revealed very early on. In the 109th Chapter, it says
"To you be your religion, and to me be mine"

This verse highlights that we all inevitably have differences of opinion, thought and belief.

Indeed traditional Islamic society prided itself on allowing all people of all faith to practice their beliefs.

This was also extant in Ancient Vedic societies.

The Ancient America's, and the Pacific played host to a myriad of tribes and peoples and these too were societies were differing beliefs and religions flourished and co-existed.
-

In modern society, let me take an oppurtunity to call us all to emulate our Ancient ancestors in their tolerance and respect.

Indeed society will be much better off if we do.


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Thank you!
    I think there is a place for intolerance also. If there were a religion that sought to kill all those who did not convert, we should not tolerate it. If there were a religion that sought to subjugate women or enslave non-believers, we should not tolerate it.
    Thankfully, most Jews and Christians do not take the bible completely literally and pick and choose aspects according to modern morals and ethics.
    The same is true for Muslims but there are some who believe in death for apostasy, death or tax for non-believers, and ownership of women (or girls). That should not be tolerated. While some Muslim groups have spoken out against such beliefs/practices and those who support them, there are few observable actions taken.
    We should be tolerant but not to those who do not tolerate freedoms!
    James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apologies for a late response. You do indeed have a rationale view.. But let us always remember to fully examine all contexts and other underlying factors which influence the situations you mention, as they so arise in certain societies.

      Delete