Monday 29 July 2013

Young Parents

Today's post looks at a topic that I am terming 'Young Parents'.

There is another term to describe Parents under the ages of 20, 18 or 16.

I won't use that term here today.

-

I only raise this issue because I had watched some youtube videos and then saw a Facebook post about this Very topic.

-

My views about this have adapted as I have grown up.

-

I'll admit, that at the writing of this post I am not yet a parent, and possibilities don't yet exist for me to become a parent.

But I want to express my view. So here goes.

-

Some people may say that young people, under 20, or 18 or even 16, who become Parents are irresponsible.

I do not take this view. I have seen in different families and communities, where young people have become parents.

I do not say that it is 'irresponsible' to do so.

I can't take this view.

The reason why I can't take that view is because I honestly view EVERY single child on Earth, as a gift.

I can not comment on all the positive and negative circumstances surrounding the arrival of these gifts in to our world.

They are many and varied.
-

I will say this.

There is a 'lack of responsibility'. But is doesn't rest solely with the 2 young parents.

-

My question is... For the parents of those young parents.. and indeed the wider whanau AND community...

What relationships.. What communication... What aroha was fostered and created in That whanau?

-

Because for me... Young parents may only become young parents [and I'm specifically addressing the issue of it happening withOut the knowledge of their own parents]

If... Communication... Cohesion.. Cooperation.. Aroha and a strong dynamic relationship WAS NOT extant.

-

Yes.. I'm saying.. If people become young parents 'secretly' and without the knowledge of their wider whanau...

I'd say it is ONLY because that wider whanau was NOT strong... was not fully and properly communicating.. and not providing a safe environment for those Young People.
-

The opposite is ALSO True... Young parents who become young parents .. with their wider whanau knowing

Are likely to have open, frank and full communication with that wider whanau.

Strong bonds and relationships are probably extant in that whanau also.

-

So there it is...

My own views.. my own opinion about 'Young Parenthood'.

-

I neither actively discourage nor encourage people to become parents Under the age of 20, 18 or even 16.

I only say.. that if this happens it is important for the wider families [ON BOTH SIDES] to be fully supportive... in knowledge... in nurturing... in care AND in understanding.

-

This is the only way that we can foster stronger families, through full and open communication, through cooperation, through cohesion

AND AROHA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment